Thursday, January 2, 2014

Why Chores Are Awesome

Yes, chores rock!

So, you're probably thinking "why on earth would anyone say chores 'rock'?" Well, I can tell you! Chores give you a myriad of things to do when the rain is consuming your day, and your toddler is cracked out on mint and chocolate pie and your two month old is screaming in the swing because the toddler stole his binky and threw it in the trash can.

Can you tell how hard I'm trying here?

Without further ado, some reasons why chores (and other boring tasks) can be awesome!

1. It makes time go by fast.

How many times a day do you glace at the clock, willing for that seven o'clock time to roll around and the bath time towels to come out and bath toys to come dancing out from under the sink? I know for me personally, many, many times a day. To make time go by, make a list of about two to three time consuming tasks to accomplish by the end of the day. Once you finish the last one, it's at least an hour or so closer to bed time! And we all know how exciting that time can be,

2. It burns calories.

This is true. An hour of cleaning burns 1000 calories (or 100, depending on how many cookies I ate that day) Just thinking about the bending, stretching, reaching, squatting, and other motions your body is making brings a sense of accomplishment to you!

3. It can be fun.

Turn on some music next time you wash dishes. If you are like me, and many other households, you totally ignore your dishwasher. I prefer doing the cleaning myself, and dishwashers suck power like crazy, AND water is included in our rent, so killing two birds with one stone. You can dance around, practice your vocals with the scrub brush, and if you are alone (or have no filter or inhibitions like moi) you can sing out your Brittany Spears as loud as you please. Dance around with the vacuum. Cleaning is what you make it. So make it rock! as the late Miley Cyrus says (I say "late" because that girl is not what she used to be)

4. It gives you a sense of pride.

I know that when I get something I normally would be back burnering done, I feel so good about myself, and my home. Like today, I went through all my drawers and my closet, and took out everything I don't wear anymore, and bagged it up. It provided an insane amount of space; as it turns out I don't wear NEAR as much of my clothes as I thought. And it gave some stylish (circa the 90's) clothes to Goodwill. I loved having that additional space in my closet, and now I have an entire drawer to dedicate to...I have no idea yet!

5. Organizing can ALSO be fun.

I know that when I go to Target and devour their dollar bins, I get so excited like Santa on Prozac. Those bins are awesome. I just went on Tuesday because they had finally laid out their Valentines Day through Saint Patrick's Day stuff, and along with it trial sized things (love those) and different ways to organize your stuff. I bought some cute micro sized laundry baskets to store my makeup in, and a couple hooks to hang up my new apron and oven mitts on! I know this all sounds cheesy, but when you are an organization junkie like me, this screams awesome to you.

6. It gives you something TO DO!

If all else fails, it fills up a day, and in the end, a cluttered home means a cluttered mind! But a freakishly clean home means a weird, too empty robot mind. So...just stay in the middle, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment